Thursday, May 19, 2011

His Dark Materials I

I finished Pullman's science fiction fantasy trilogy last night and I was floored. The trilogy is an amazing read, it's right up there with Harry Potter. I have to admit, the beginning was a little slow and confusing for me, and that is why I cannot say that it is better than Harry Potter (I mean come on... nothing can top Harry Potter). But the last few chapters of every book in that trilogy... wow. Pullman definitely knows how to tug at the heartstrings of his readers. I cannot stop praising the series.

I love the second book, The Subtle Knife, the most. For one, I wanted the knife all to myself too (like the hundred people or so after it) but for me, it was the most adventurous-y. Now of course that would be false because the final book was the most adventurous-y, but there was something about the second book that I love so much. Maybe because it was the only book out of the series that I bought brand new, ha ha! I found the first and last book in thrift stores, each costing me less than a dollar and both in good condition. After I read the first book, I was itching to get my hands on the second one but I stopped myself from trekking to Chapters and buying it, for I had exams and assignments and manuscripts to be handed in, and I knew that I would not care for anything once I bought the book. I think it was one of my not so busy days that I wanted to buy some candy from Bulk Barn, and I marched to Chapters before getting myself some candy and bought The Subtle Knife and Darwin's On The Origin of Species. And lo and behold, I did not let that book out of my sight. I brought it with me to class (but I still had the decency to not read while lecture was ongoing, no matter how boring lecture was), while waiting for class, while doing laundry, while on the toilet, etc. You get the point. I think I finished the book from 4 days to a whole week, which was pretty impressive since I always had so much to do when I'm school, and I think I didn't ignore anything or anyone... well, I hope I didn't.

I didn't even mind that the cover art was juvenile (well, it is a children's book).


Image from  hdm.wikia.com

I carried that book with me everywhere. I started reading my Origin of Species at the same time too, but I had to put it down since I was recovering from the wrath of Genetics from the previous semester. Why'd I buy the Origin of Species you may ask? I am taking a third-year evolution course with friends in the fall and I didn't want to come back to school stumped and clueless, so I am trying to get ahead, even just a little.

I am going to stop here because I am short on sleep from waking up early to walk my brother to school this morning, but I shall continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment